TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Digital Cellular Sound Quality

Re: Digital Cellular Sound Quality

Joseph (JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com)
Tue, 08 Feb 2005 08:19:10 -0800

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 03:48:31 -0600, Jeffrey Mattox <withheld on
request> wrote:

> Is this situation ever likely to be improved? Why isn't it possible
> to sample at a higher rate, compress the result in the phone for
> transmission, and then decompress at the base (and do the same thing
> for the reverse channel)? Are all digital cellular phones the same?
> Aren't many people bothered by the horrible sound quality?

The sound quality is due to the codec that's used. What follows is
opinion only and should not be taken for the last word.

CDMA as offered by Sprint PCS, Verizon, etc. uses a codec that is
inferior and is prone to "metalic" sounding conversations.

GSM on the other hand uses a different codec and to most people the
quality of audio is almost on par with that used in traditional
wireline telephony.

I use GSM through a Cellsocket adapter and no one can tell that I am
using a mobile phone.

Go to Next message: Joseph: "Re: Hackers, Virus Writers Target Mobile Phones"
Go to Previous message: david_esan@hotmail.com: "Re: Need Recommendations for Economy "Pay as You Go" Cell Phones"
May be in reply to: Jeffrey Mattox: "Digital Cellular Sound Quality"