TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: British TV License (was America the Worst For Cell Rates

Re: British TV License (was America the Worst For Cell Rates

Thor Lancelot Simon (tls@panix.com)
Wed, 2 Feb 2005 02:11:32 UTC

In article <telecom24.49.11@telecom-digest.org>, Mark Crispin
<MRC@CAC.Washington.EDU> wrote:

> That is not the case with PAL televisions in North America. Almost no
> televisions sold in North America and Japan have PAL. TVs sold in
> North America with PAL capable are grey market imports, not consumer
> goods.

That's not actually entirely so. Many -- if not most -- HDTV-capable
sets do both NTSC and PAL standard-TV resolutions; in fact, in the
segment of the market I'm most familiar with (projectors) I have yet
to encounter one that doesn't. And a lot of HD sets/monitors are
being sold these days.

Thor Lancelot Simon tls@rek.tjls.com

"The inconsistency is startling, though admittedly, if consistency is to be
abandoned or transcended, there is no problem." - Noam Chomsky

Go to Next message: Garrett Wollman: "Re: British TV License (was America the Worst For Cell Rates"
Go to Previous message: Monty Solomon: "Apple: Video's Future is Tiger, QuickTime 7, H.264"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page