TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: British TV License (was America the Worst For Cell Rates

Re: British TV License (was America the Worst For Cell Rates

Garrett Wollman (wollman@lcs.mit.edu)
Tue, 1 Feb 2005 17:30:57 UTC

In article <telecom24.48.5@telecom -digest.org>, David Clayton
<dcstar@XYZ.myrealbox.com> wrote:

> I think the original point many have been to say that a lot of PAL TV
> sets these days seem to have in-built NTSC capability, and I would
> imagine that a lot sold in NTSC markets also have PAL.

You indeed have imagined that, since in this country (the world's
largest market for consumer electronics) only the rare and expensive
"multi-standard" sets support any flavor of PAL. (Keeping in mind
that PAL is just an encoding for color: with respect to broadcast
television systems, there are PAL-B, PAL-D, PAL-G, PAL-H, PAL-I,
PAL-K, PAL-N, and even PAL-M in some places. By contrast, broadcast
NTSC color is found universally with system M, although some
historical references claim that NTSC-A was close to happening before
the UK government decided to abandon system A in favor of PAL-I. The
French SECAM system is used with systems D, K, and L.)

-GAWollman

Garrett A. Wollman | As the Constitution endures, persons in every
wollman@csail.mit.edu | generation can invoke its principles in their own
Opinions not those | search for greater freedom.
of MIT or CSAIL. | - A. Kennedy, Lawrence v. Texas, 539 U.S. ___ (2003)

Go to Next message: Hank Karl: "Re: Looking For Hands Free Telephone System For Entire House"
Go to Previous message: Chris Farrar: "Re: British TV License"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page