TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: America the Worst For Cell Rates and Plans

Re: America the Worst For Cell Rates and Plans

Isaiah Beard (sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com)
Sat, 29 Jan 2005 22:00:00 -0500

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

>> "We have a fleet of detector vans, plus, our enforcement officers have
>> access to hand-held detection devices capable of detecting a magnetic
>> field when a TV is switched on. In fact, we catch an average of over
>> 1,000 people watching TV without a licence every day."

> One wonders if LCD panel TVs have changed anything about how law
> enforcement works -- or *if* it works.

If that's what they're homing on, then there probably are changes, but
LCDs, DLPS and Plasma displays aren't undetectable. Backlighting for
this technology generally uses flourescent tubes and oscillators to
drive those tubes. LED backlighting, once Luxeon clusters come down
in price a bit, might pose more of a challenge.

Even, RF discrimantors are still rather "noisy" and can be picked up,
just as VG2 picks up most radar detectors.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.

Go to Next message: earle robinson: "Re: America the Worst For Cell Rates and Plans"
Go to Previous message: John Levine: "Re: Vonage Call Forwarding"
May be in reply to: kansaskon: "America the Worst For Cell Rates and Plans"