TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Net Telephone Fees Have Users Fuming

Re: Net Telephone Fees Have Users Fuming

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht (wolfgang+gnus20050127T210539@dailyplanet)
Fri, 28 Jan 2005 05:10:42 GMT

Jack Decker <jack-yahoogroups@withheld on request writes:

> What boggles my mind is that companies in the telecommunications
> industry seem to get away with something that would not be allowed
> almost any other industry, and that is quoting one price to a
> customer, then actually charging a higher one. And again, I emphasize
> that these fees are not taxes that the government requires these
> companies to collect from end users. They are just an arbitrary fee
> that these companies decide to add on, so they can keep their
> advertised price artificially low in relation to their
> competitors. But this makes it very difficult for potential customers
> to fairly compare the actual monthly rate they will pay from any
> provider under consideration.

I never did understand how that didn't violate fraud laws either.
After all, they are quoting one price and charging another. How would
that be substantively different from a user of theirs paying a check
for the full amount minus their own Federal, State, Social Security
taxes on the tendered monies?

Hate software patents? Sign here: http://thankpoland.info/

Go to Next message: David Clayton: "Re: AOL Dropping Usenet Access"
Go to Previous message: John Levine: "Re: America the Worst For Cell Rates and Plans"
May be in reply to: Jack Decker: "Net Telephone Fees Have Users Fuming"