TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: America the Worst For Cell Rates and Plans

Re: America the Worst For Cell Rates and Plans

Diamond Dave (dmine45.NOSPAM@yahoo.com)
Wed, 26 Jan 2005 05:38:24 -0500

On 25 Jan 2005 17:29:40 -0800, kansaskon <kansasconn@yahoo.com> wrote:

> America has the worst mobile telephone calling rates and plans in the
> world. For example nowhere in the world do you pay or are deducted
> minutes for recieving calls its just unheard of.

Well, its the rest of the world that got it wrong, not the US.

Why, as a landline phone owner, should I have to pay the premium to
call a cell phone?

All the costs of owning and operating the cell phone should be borne
on the cell phone OWNER! Why? Because they chose to own a cell phone
and not a landline.

You have to realize that in MOST parts of the US (outside of some
major cities like New York, Chicago, Pittsburgh & Philadelphia) that
we've enjoyed UNLIMITED local calling within a geographic distance
(usually around 10 to 16 miles on average). If we call a cell phone
who's number is assigned in the same local calling region as our own,
why should we have to pay the premium just because its a cell phone??

Even if the cell phone number is a toll call, all the landline caller
pays is regular toll charges to that number, not extra charges - the
way it SHOULD be!

When most of the rest of the world implemented their wireless phone
systems, they followed the same pattern for what they had used for
their landlines -- pay per minute -- but this time at a premium price.
There is no such thing as unlimited local calling in most countries,
something that the *MOST* of the US and even Canada has taken for
granted. So people in Europe, for example, are already used to paying
through the nose to make a call, local or toll. So an extra charge
won't hurt them since they're used to it.

So welcome to America with cell call billing the way it SHOULD be, not
the way that Europe and most of the world got it messed up!

PS: There is ONE company that I know of that has unlimited inbound
cell calls -- Nextel. Better hurry - they're being bought out by Sprint,
which has the inbound billing borne by the cell customer!

Dave

Go to Next message: Steve Sobol: "Re: America the Worst For Cell Rates and Plans"
Go to Previous message: Elmo P. Shagnasty: "Re: America the Worst For Cell Rates and Plans"
May be in reply to: kansaskon: "America the Worst For Cell Rates and Plans"