TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Statement From Verizon Online Regarding Spam Filtering

Statement From Verizon Online Regarding Spam Filtering

Marcus Didius Falco (falco_marcus_didius@yahoo.co.uk)
Fri, 21 Jan 2005 00:18:33 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Alice Kehoe
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 18:52:31 -0500
Subject: Statement From Verizon Online Regarding Spam Filtering

Ah yes, a carefully formulated and rational plan of action ... right
up there with, "if I shut my eyes, Mama can't see me taking these
chocolates."

Statement From Verizon Online Regarding Spam Filtering Spam is out of
control.

Leading providers of spam protection tools, such as MX Logic Inc. and
MessageLabs, report that some 80 to 90 percent of all e-mail today is
spam.

This is a major problem for Internet users in multiple ways. Spam
clogs our mailboxes daily to the point where it threatens viability of
e-mail as a communications tool. It also routinely carries viruses,
identity-theft scams, spyware, and other serious security threats.

As an ISP, Verizon Online is working hard to address these serious
security threats on the Internet by closely monitoring our network for
incoming and outgoing spam and by working cooperatively with others
across the ISP industry on anti-spam initiatives.

These round-the-clock efforts include blocking spam and propagation of
viruses from sources we identify using methods that are consistent
with industry practices. This is a long-standing policy at Verizon
Online.

When we identify sources of spam or viruses, we block them as narrowly
as we can and, where possible, we work directly with whoever manages
that source to notify them of the issue. We then continuously monitor
the source and will lift the block as soon as we are satisfied the
threat has been resolved. In many cases, this is resolved within two
days; however, we will not remove a block as long as a serious threat
remains.

The entire ISP industry is working to combat spam and other online
security threats. Verizon Online is a member of various coalitions,
including the Messaging Anti-Abuse Working Group, which comprises both
large and small ISPs covering more than 100 million online
subscribers. We have aggressively pursued spammers through legal
action and taken a leading role in drafting legislation at the state
and national levels. We also are working with domestic and
international law-enforcement agencies to combat spam and other
threats. In short, Verizon is committed to protecting its customers
and its network from the serious security matters that threaten our
use of the Internet everyday.

Any spam-blocking method will, inevitably, result in the blocking or
delay of otherwise legitimate e-mail. This is yet another reason why
spammers are harmful to the Internet community. If a Verizon Online
customer believes he is not receiving legitimate e-mail, he should
call our technical support desk for assistance and we will work to
resolve the situation as quickly as possible. Our Verizon Online Web
site also features an Internet security page with practical tips and
tools that can help customers protect themselves from Internet
threats. It can be found at
http://broadbandbeat.verizon.net/safety_security.

We believe that fighting spam is the right thing to do for the safety
and security of our more than 4 million broadband and dial-up
customers.

Some of the loudest complaints you will see or hear about spam
blocking come from the spammers themselves, who lose significant
income when their efforts to flood the Internet with unsolicited
e-mail are foiled. Our customers expect and demand that we provide
them with as safe, secure, and effective an Internet experience as
possible, and we are firm in our commitment to do that.

------ End of Forwarded Message

Go to Next message: odahs@galaway.com: "Re: Moved But Want to Keep Phone Number"
Go to Previous message: Telecom dailyLead from USTA: "January 21, 2005 - Michael Powell to resign today"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page