TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Don't Allow Under-9s to Use a Mobile

Re: Don't Allow Under-9s to Use a Mobile

Fred Atkinson (fatkinson@mishmash.com)
Thu, 20 Jan 2005 12:42:34 GMT

Linc,

For many years, the tobacco industry insisted that there was no
problem with cigarettes. How long after there was statistical proof
that cigarettes *were* a very serious health hazard before they
finally admitted it? It was quite a while. And they are still
selling those things left and right.

No provider of a product/service is going to be eager to admit that
there is a problem with the product/service. It can be devastating to
their profit margin.

Now, I agree with you that the jury is still out as to just how much
of a problem these things are. And I agree with your suggestion that
a hands-free kit is most probably a good measure to take until we have
more data on the subject. It will be at least a few more years before
there will be enough data to draw any significant solutions. I don't
want to be a statistic, myself.

So, when I am required to carry a cellular telephone, I will get a
headset for use with it even if the cost of the headset is out of my
own pocket. And I will hold the unit away from my body when I use it.

It may turn out to be overkill but I will wait until the statistical
evidence to make that judgement. And that may not be for a long time.
How long did it take to determine that cigarettes were such a problem?

Regards,

Fred

Go to Next message: Mark Crispin: "Re: Don't Allow Under-9s to Use a Mobile"
Go to Previous message: J Kelly: "Re: Wal-Mart Stung in $1.5 Million Bar-Code Scam"
May be in reply to: Marcus Didius Falco: "Don't Allow Under-9s to Use a Mobile"