TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: FBI Retires Controversial E-Mail Surveillance Tool

Re: FBI Retires Controversial E-Mail Surveillance Tool

Barry Margolin (barmar@alum.mit.edu)
Wed, 19 Jan 2005 20:17:20 -0500

In article <telecom24.25.1@telecom-digest.org>, Lisa Minter
<lisa_minter2001@yahoo.com> wrote:

> According to the reports, the FBI used commercially available software
> to conduct court-ordered Internet surveillance in criminal
> investigations 13 times during that time period.

So they haven't actually stopped performing the surveillance, they've
just switched from a custom system to COTS software. Does this make a
difference to civil libertarians?

Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

Go to Next message: Tony P.: "Re: Vonage Customer Cares DOESN'T really care"
Go to Previous message: David Clayton: "Re: SMS Security??"
May be in reply to: Lisa Minter: "FBI Retires Controversial E-Mail Surveillance Tool"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page