TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Young Cell Users Rack Up Debt, One Dime Message at a Time

Re: Young Cell Users Rack Up Debt, One Dime Message at a Time

Paul Coxwell (paulcoxwell@tiscali.co.uk)
Sun, 16 Jan 2005 23:05:09 -0000

Rob <rob51166@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> I'm still amazed that, in the US, the person being called on a mobile
> phone has to pay for the call if someone calls or texts them. I'm on
> Virgin Mobile here in the UK and, thankfully, we only pay for outgoing
> calls and texts, as is the case on all of our other mobile phone
> networks, such as 3, Vodafone, Orange etc ...

A while ago I read some comments from ex-pat Brits in the U.S. who
were complaining bitterly about being charged for incoming cellphone
calls, and saying that America should change to the "proper" charging
method.

Well, I seem to have the minority view here that America already does
this the correct way. In my opinion, it is Europe which has the
charging back-to-front. If you want to be able to have somebody reach
you on your cellphone while walking around in the street, why should
you not pay for that convenience? Or to put it another way, why
should you expect somebody else to pay extra for your benefit?

And pay extra they do: On most regular BT plans the cost for calling a
cellphone is *much* greater than for a regular long-distance call.
I'm sure that everybody in the U.K. will know of people who when given
an 07xx niumber will retort with something like "I'm not paying to
call that! Give me a real number!"

Paul Coxwell
Norfolk, England.

Go to Next message: John Hines: "Re: Jerry Springer - The Opera"
Go to Previous message: Fred Goldstein: "Re: Young Cell Users Rack Up Debt, One Dime at a Time"
May be in reply to: Monty Solomon: "Young Cell Users Rack Up Debt, One Dime Message at a Time"