TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Young Cell Users Rack Up Debt, One Dime Message at a Time

Re: Young Cell Users Rack Up Debt, One Dime Message at a Time

DevilsPGD (devilspgd@crazyhat.net)
Fri, 14 Jan 2005 23:24:03 -0700

In message <telecom24.18.10@telecom-digest.org> Rob <rob51166@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> I'm still amazed that, in the US, the person being called on a mobile
> phone has to pay for the call if someone calls or texts them. I'm on
> Virgin Mobile here in the UK and, thankfully, we only pay for outgoing
> calls and texts, as is the case on all of our other mobile phone
> networks, such as 3, Vodafone, Orange etc ...

> If someone were to call a mobile phone from a landline in the US, I
> presume that they also pay for the call, right? So, is the cost of
> the call split between the caller and the the person being called?

When you dial out from a cell phone you're either making a local call or
a long distance call, and are billed appropriately.

It doesn't matter whether the destination is a residential phone line,
cell phone, business phone, IDSN, or anything else. When you make a
call you don't have to guess as to what sort of phone service the
destination is using today (and it may not be the same tomorrow, users
are no longer required to reprint stationary and notify all their
contacts and whatever other hassles are involved with changing phone
numbers whenever they change phone carriers)

There are a few exceptions to this, where a carrier will offer free or
discounted on-network calls, but these plans don't seem to be priced
competitively around here.

Go to Next message: Rob: "Re: Young Cell Users Rack Up Debt, One Dime Message at a Time"
Go to Previous message: John Levine: "Re: Re: Young Cell Users Rack Up Debt, One Dime Message at a Time"
May be in reply to: Monty Solomon: "Young Cell Users Rack Up Debt, One Dime Message at a Time"