TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Cellular Phone Charges

Cellular Phone Charges

(no name) ((no email))
Fri, 14 Jan 2005 15:20:06 -0700

PAT, to reduce $pam, please remove all references to my email address.

In "Re: Young Cell Users Rack Up Debt, One Dime Message at a Time",
Telecom Digest V.24 #18, Rob wrote:

> I'm still amazed that, in the US, the person being called on a
> mobile phone has to pay for the call if someone calls or texts
> them. I'm on Virgin Mobile here in the UK and, thankfully, we
> only pay for outgoing calls and texts, as is the case on all of
> our other mobile phone networks, such as 3, Vodafone, Orange etc.

> If someone were to call a mobile phone from a landline in the US,
> I presume that they also pay for the call, right? So, is the cost
> of the call split between the caller and the the person being
> called?

No, and I suppose others will post the following as well.

Here in the US and Canada, for the most part, calls TO a wireless
phone are charged no more than what they normally would be charged for
a call to a landline.

Cellular phone numbers are assigned out of the same numbering space as
landline phone numbers (i.e., area codes and exchange codes), although
the "exchange" codes do have a default embedded association with a
wireless company, but now one can port their phone number back and
forth between wireless and landline, and between service providers,
throughout most of the US. Presently, Canada only has number
portability between landline service providers.

If I am calling a cellular phone which is "based" on a number
associated with my own local area, the call could be "free" if I have
unlimited monthly flat rate local service, or the local payphone
charge if I'm calling from a payphone, or a measured rate charge if I
have that type of local service. And this is regardless of where the
called cellular phone happens to be travelling or roamed to.

If I am calling a cellular phone which is based on a long distance
number, I will pay whatever long distance class of service rate for
the type of long distance call I am placing, i.e., direct dial, or
calling card, or long distance coin if paying with coins from a
payphone, etc. And again, it doesn't matter where the cellular phone
happens to be, even if an "out of town" cellular number has "roamed"
to my own town.

Of course, long distance plans these days are negligeable if you know
how to shop around. Likewise, these days cellular plans for outbound
calls as well as incoming airtime, and roaming charges, can be rather
reasonably priced, depending on how you "shop around".

There have been a few FCC inquiries for "Caller Pays" charges to be an
option in the US, to call a wireless phone, but with the numbering
plan for wireless as it exists in the US and Canada, especially now
that number portability exists even between landline and wireless (at
least in the US), I doubt it will ever be adopted.

I understand that many countries outside of the US and Canada, with
their rigid cellular numbering plans and caller-pays to call cellular
phones from both landline and other cellulars, have rather expensive
caller-pays charges. And in recent years, even US and Canada customers
calling to mobile numbers in other countries outside of the US and
Canada are having to make up those EXPENSIVE charges to call those
mobile phones (especially in Europe), charges which can be double,
triple or even four times or more, as much as their international
discount plan rates to call landlines in those countries.

But since I usually can see what the cellular numbering ranges are in
such caller-pays countries, I will NEVER dial anyone's cellular number
in those countries. I'll call their landline number and leave a
message instead.

Go to Next message: Dave Garland: "Re: Young Cell Users Rack Up Debt, One Dime Message at a Time"
Go to Previous message: Fatboy Jr.: "Beware Stereo Exchange-Chicago-David Nash-Ripoff Artist !"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page