TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: The Day the Bell System Died

Re: The Day the Bell System Died

Andrew (andrew@lod.com)
Mon, 10 Jan 2005 15:03:35 -0800

Tony P. wrote:

> All the theory and initial development for SONET was done by Bell
> Labs. More importantly the laser was also a Bell Labs project, as
> well as the transistor, etc. Mother Bell could have become quite the
> giant if she didn't give up the rights to her own research and
> production.

> They also pioneered the things we take for granted like CLID, etc. I
> recall a Bell sponsored book from 1972 that discussed the new services
> over a few pages. The title escapes me but they had prototype photos of
> the CLID gear, the Trimline prototypes, etc.

And cellular service, of course. One of the favorite books in my
library is an old BSP covering AMPS implementation on the 1AESS
switch, dated 1983 I believe.

andrew@lod.com

Go to Next message: Justin Time: "Re: The Day the Bell System Died"
Go to Previous message: Paul: "Re: Streamlined Cable TV in a Card"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page