TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Drill Bit Size

Re: Drill Bit Size

Tony P. (kd1s@nospamplease.cox.reallynospam.net)
Tue, 28 Dec 2004 17:37:53 -0500

In article <telecom23.621.7@telecom-digest.org>, nospam@crashelex.com
says:

> Fred Atkinson wrote:

>> Can anyone on here tell me what the standard bit size that is used by
>> telephone installers to drill the holes for running standard, four
>> pair telephone wire through (like drilling a hole through the
>> baseboard into the floor to pull the wire in to wire a jack mounted on
>> the baseboard)?

> I have a 5/8" spade bit, 6 feet long with a 6 foot extension. Spade
> bits are easier to aim, IMO, than twist bits. Standard caveats apply
> wrt knowing what's ahead of your bit :-)

> I also have a "shorty" that's only 18" long, for special occasions.

5/8" seems huge. You can get CAT-5 through a quarter inch hole so I'd
recommend a long quarter inch bit. The 5/8" would be good for dropping
cable from the pole into the house but that's about all.

Go to Next message: eljainc@ameritech.net: "Looking For User's Manual For Bellsouth 4300GR Telephone"
Go to Previous message: Mike Schoenberger: "1st 1-900 Number? Question on Millionaire Show"
May be in reply to: Fred Atkinson: "Drill Bit Size"