TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Speaking of VoIP

Speaking of VoIP

Tony P. (kd1s@nospamplease.cox.reallynospam.net)
Mon, 27 Dec 2004 16:53:36 -0500

I got a call from Cox today. Apparently they'll be rolling out VoIP
service to compete with Vonage, Voicewing, etc in about two
months. The price will be $18.99 a month.

But then I realized, Cox is an FCC regulated voice carrier so all the
fees and crap will kick in and the price will be > $24.99 I pay now.

The guy trying to sell me this service was explaining my VoIP line isn't
secure. I told him anyone with a half brain and a butt set could render
pretty much any wire line communication insecure. As I explained, my
line goes down to the NID where I disconnected and tagged the Verizon
line. So it's an analog signal at that point.

I love the scare tactics they try.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Cox is the cable company serving
Coffeyville. Cable One does Independence and south of town going
out Tenth Street to around Dearing, Kansas, then Cox takes over from
there south to Coffeyville, Tyro, Caney and the Oklahoma state line.
PAT]

Go to Next message: John Levine: "Re: My High Hopes About Google Ads"
Go to Previous message: Telecom dailyLead from USTA: "Dueling Satellite Radio Rivals See Jump in Subscribers"
May be reply: John Levine: "Re: Speaking of VoIP"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page