TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Review: E-Mail Program Lacks 'Wow' Factor

Re: Review: E-Mail Program Lacks 'Wow' Factor

T. Sean Weintz (strap@hanh-ct.org)
Thu, 23 Dec 2004 16:53:52 -0500

Lisa Minter wrote:

> By ANICK JESDANUN, AP Internet Writer

> NEW YORK - The Firefox browser has become an instant sensation, in
> just a few weeks gaining impressively against Microsoft Corp.'s
> market-leading but malware-beleaguered Internet Explorer.

> Security experts worried about IE's flaws and vulnerabilities have
> recommended Firefox. Others, myself included, were impressed by its
> innovative features.

> The team that put Firefox together, Mozilla Foundation, now offers a
> free standalone e-mail application, called Thunderbird. But this time,
> the case for switching from Microsoft products is less compelling.

> I just can't see too many people abandoning Microsoft's Outlook, if
> they use it. Outlook is the gold standard in e-mail programs, despite
> its $109 list price. Among other things, Thunderbird lacks a
> calendar application, and its tools for sorting your incoming messages
> are rather rudimentary.

> If you're happy to sacrifice features for something free, anyone
> running a Windows operating system already has Outlook Express.

> So why bother with Thunderbird?

> In some ways, Thunderbird is more powerful than Outlook Express.
<snip>

It's also more stable and more secure. It doesn't fall prey to the
exploits that allow viruses to spread so easily from Outlook. Also,
try opening a very large IMAP folder in Outlook or Outlook Express
(one with say 50,000 messages in it) - both apps will completely choke
and freeze up. (as will most email programs -- eudora, "the bat", etc)
Thunderbird handles these with no problem at all.

Go to Next message: Garrett Wollman: "Re: Review: E-Mail Program Lacks 'Wow' Factor"
Go to Previous message: Marcus Didius Falco: "Consumers Union Launches Telecom Advocacy Web Site"
May be in reply to: Lisa Minter: "Review: E-Mail Program Lacks 'Wow' Factor"