TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Hanging Up On Wireless Spam

Re: Hanging Up On Wireless Spam

SPARKY (spunk0210@yahoo.com)
21 Dec 2004 12:16:08 -0800

I got a text message spam, I have TMobile, they charged me 5 cents,
but after demanding the charge be taken off they did. They said they
have no way of blocking text messaging, I can only do it as a filter,
this would be after the fact usually. Told them I would drop my cell
phone before I'll start paying for SPAM, what's next SPAM deliveried
to your TV via your cable box? and you get to pay for it?

Nathan Tenny wrote:

>> Why's that? I'm not a network-side guy, but it seems to me that the
>> local system just needs to talk to its own VLR to find out what it
>> needs to know about you. All the phone is doing is sending up a data
>> burst (encapsulated in one of several ways, depending on the system
>> and the length of the message and the phase of the moon), which
>> wouldn't seem to be a process requiring any special contact with the
>> home network.

> In article <telecom22.537.12@telecom-digest.org>,
> Spyros Bartsocas <spyros@telecom-digest.zzn.com> wrote:

>> I am not a very technical person, but you program a Service Center to
>> the phone.

> That must be the equivalent of a Message Center (MC henceforth) in
> the IS-41 world (I assume you're talking about GSM, where I *really*
> know nothing about the network side). It makes sense that the SMS >
> transaction would need to go through whatever SMS entity "owns" the >
> target phone, I guess.

>> The service center phone number includes the country code
>> in order to be reachable from other networks. So, I believe what
>> happens is that you are actually calling this number (at least it
>> appears this way last time I roamed in Switzerland).

> That's *really* interesting, and doesn't seem to be the case in IS-41,
> where the various MSCs just talk to each other. I'm looking at IS-41
> as I write this, trying to figure out how the process works; every
> time I think I've understood it, I start to write a summary and then
> discover that I'm wrong. My current thinking -- which I'm going to
> write down and send in a hurry before I have a chance to change my
> mind -- is that the sender's MC always has to contact the recipient's
> MC, but policy for which network the MCs are located on is left up to
> the carriers.

> In principle, if I'm right, a roamer *could* be associated with an MC
> on the local network, and then delivery of SMS would be routed just
> like a call -- caller's MSC checks with recipient's HLR which directs
> it to the appropriate VLR, which indicates how to deliver the
> notification. But the roamer could also be "owned" by his home MC, in
> which case the sender has to talk to HLR, then VLR, then back to the
> "home" MC, which gives back a routing address (by consulting the HLR),
> and *then* the message gets routed accordingly (presumably not
> involving the roamer's home network any more).

> There isn't an actual *call* involved, in the sense of a process
> that involves assigning a mobile onto a traffic channel and sending
> traffic around, but maybe the MC generates its own CDRs, which then
> show up as calls on your bill.

> Can anyone give a definitive, succinct explanation? This is well
> outside my field, but it's got me curious, particularly about the
> differences between GSM and IS-41.

> Nathan Tenny | When the world ends, there'll be no more
> Qualcomm, Inc., San Diego, CA | air. That's why it's important to pollute
> [...]

Go to Next message: Mark Atwood: "Re: System Would Allow 911 Checks"
Go to Previous message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: USATODAY.com - Airborne Cell-Phone Ban Likely to Remain For Now"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page