TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Vonage Voice Quality Getting Worse?

Vonage Voice Quality Getting Worse?

John R Levine (johnl@iecc.com)
10 Dec 2004 21:30:40 -0500

I've had Vonage phone service for nearly two years, running over the
T1 in my office. For the most part voice quality has been pretty
good. Recently I've found it's often just plain lousy, distortions and
dropouts bad enough that I switch to my cell phone which sounds
better.

It seems to be worse in the evening (eastern time). I looked at some
local link statistics and the local connection doesn't seem to be
particularly congested, and traceroutes show a path from my ISP
through Sprint to the peering point where Vonage connects, with no big
delays,

Have other people had voice quality problems with Vonage?

Regards,

John Levine johnl@iecc.com Primary Perpetrator of The Internet for Dummies,
Information Superhighwayman wanna-be, http://iecc.com/johnl, Mayor

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Well, I have had voice quality problems
off an on over the nearly two years I have been a Vonage subscriber
also. But I have always blamed it on traffic from other computers
running here; I have one computer in particular 'weather station'
which goes all the time (see it at http://weatherforecast.us.tf ) and
people were telling me about every ten or fifteen seconds the Vonage
audio wold drop out, as 'weather station' was sending out its JPG
image via ftp to its host. Then I switched to the Motorola TA instead
of the Cisco; Motorola came with a 'bypass' which allowed it to sit at
the head of the line, and that cured many voice quality problems. But
even so, now and then of late I have heard the same complaints once
again, and I **assumed** it was still anotehr QoS issue on my end, but
maybe that was not the case? PAT]

Go to Next message: Lisa Minter: "Napster Entering Ringtone Market"
Go to Previous message: Monty Solomon: "They've Got Your Number"
May be reply: Pete Romfh: "Re: Vonage Voice Quality Getting Worse?"
May be reply: Mark Roberts: "Re: Vonage Voice Quality Getting Worse?"
May be reply: Flatus Ohlfahrt: "Re: Vonage Voice Quality Getting Worse?"
May be reply: Rick Merrill: "Re: Vonage Voice Quality Getting Worse?"
May be reply: John Levine: "Re: Vonage Voice Quality Getting Worse?"
May be reply: DevilsPGD: "Re: Vonage Voice Quality Getting Worse?"
May be reply: Tony P.: "Re: Vonage Voice Quality Getting Worse?"
May be reply: Rob Levandowski: "Re: Vonage Voice Quality Getting Worse?"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page