TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Dropping SBC For a VoIP Solution -- Vonage or Packet8 ??

Re: Dropping SBC For a VoIP Solution -- Vonage or Packet8 ??

Rick Merrill (RickMerrill@comTHROWcast.net)
Fri, 10 Dec 2004 21:47:13 GMT

Ringo Langly wrote:

> Hi Rick,

> I guess I don't understand ... the Telephone Adapter (DTA310 in my
> case) has one RJ45 connector plus my ISP only allows one public IP
> address. If I connect the Telephone Adapter to my cable modem first
> then it will get the public IP address -- not my router, which will
> leave my network without Internet access.

> I appriciate the suggestion, but either I've missed something or you're
> mistaken. The only way to connect (unless I had two IP addresses from
> my ISP) is the way it is currently connected:

> Cablemodem >> Router >> Telephone Adapter / Computers

Then your TA has no way to perform QoS (Quality of Service) and your
voice performance will suffer if any computer IO is happening at the
same time. You are forced to use phone OR computer but not both.

Sympathy,

Rick

Go to Next message: Marcus Didius Falco: "Urban Legends Reference Pages: Politics (Celling Your Soul)"
Go to Previous message: Geoffrey Welsh: "Re: Online Research Worries Many Educators"
May be in reply to: Ringo Langly: "Dropping SBC For a VoIP Solution -- Vonage or Packet8 ??"