TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Question About ROLM PBX Telephones

Re: Question About ROLM PBX Telephones

phoneguide@gmail.com
10 Dec 2004 12:57:45 -0800

ROLM was originally an IBM CBX / PBX voice switching venture that was
in North America's arrival was purchased away from the German company
SEIMENS. IBM made many advancements and improvements to the systems
proprietary operating system and architecture (Americanizing it). IBM
later sold the ROLM CBX / PBX product back to SEIMENS for a handsome
profit.

SEIMENS then revised the o/s and architecture with it's own
German touch. Their new systems struggled mightly to hang on as third
most distributed voice switching platform in North America. Consumers
and system administrators were clearly NOT impressed with what had been
re-engineered or otherwise taken back to a Version 1.0 release. The
early versions of HICOM (SEIMENS revised ROLM) lost much of the market
it had locked into for years. Loyal customers were no longer loyal to
the ROLM name. A terrific interactive ROLM User Guide still exist and
serves those who still run on the american~ized ROLM 9751 9004 & 9005
platforms. That web-site is http://www.9751.com

Joseph Bergstein wrote:

> In a message from Martin McCormick, he states:

>> The Rolm PBX'S are made by Seimens, as far as I know.

> ROLM PBX'x have been made by the Rolm Company since they were
founded. As I recall, ROLM actually started out manufacturing
MILSPEC Nova (Data General) computers in the early '70s. I recall
seeing them as the console computer on early Amdahl 470 mainframes.

> Rolm PBXs up to and including the current 9751 are still made by
> ROLM. Since the ROLM - Siemens merger, and subsequent acquisition,
> the two firms indicate that they are merging their technology
> platforms, but so far Siemens does not make ROLM PBX's, per se
> (other than now owning the ROLM company).

Go to Next message: Geoffrey Welsh: "Re: Online Research Worries Many Educators"
Go to Previous message: jim.woodward@genesis-data.com: "Re: Anyone Using Avaya Communication Manager API?"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page