TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Dropping SBC For a VoIP Solution -- Vonage or Packet8 ??

Re: Dropping SBC For a VoIP Solution -- Vonage or Packet8 ??

Ringo Langly (rlangly@gmail.com)
9 Dec 2004 04:59:54 -0800

Hi Rick,

I guess I don't understand ... the Telephone Adapter (DTA310 in my
case) has one RJ45 connector plus my ISP only allows one public IP
address. If I connect the Telephone Adapter to my cable modem first
then it will get the public IP address -- not my router, which will
leave my network without Internet access.

I appriciate the suggestion, but either I've missed something or you're
mistaken. The only way to connect (unless I had two IP addresses from
my ISP) is the way it is currently connected:

Cablemodem >> Router >> Telephone Adapter / Computers

If I'm mistaken, please enlighten me ...

Ringo

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Depending on the kind of TA you are
using, many of them now have a 'bypass' allowing the TA to go
immediatly behind the cablemodem, then 'bypassing' out to the
router and computers. That is my setup here with my Linksys TA
(which replaced the Motorola TA I was using from Vonage.) So you
probably need to 'register' the TA with your cable internet
provider (as I had to do) but then the Cable provider just looks
at the TA as 'just one more computer' (or depending on how much
of a firewall it has) as the 'computer' at your IP address. PAT]

Go to Next message: Isaiah Beard: "Re: Dropping SBC For a VoIP Solution -- Vonage or Packet8 ??"
Go to Previous message: lisas@salford-systems.com: "Data Mining Conference: Solving Real World Challenges, NYC, March"
May be in reply to: Ringo Langly: "Dropping SBC For a VoIP Solution -- Vonage or Packet8 ??"