TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Lingo Voip Isn't Really Cheap

Re: Lingo Voip Isn't Really Cheap

DevilsPGD (devilspgd@crazyhat.net)
Wed, 08 Dec 2004 16:00:26 -0700

In message <telecom23.586.12@telecom-digest.org> Gordon S. Hlavenka
<nospam@crashelex.com> wrote:

> Here's a tangentially related question: The Vonage/Linksys hardware has
> two phone jacks on the back. Are these separate jacks? Can I register
> two numbers on a single adapter and have one ring to the "Phone1" jack
> and the other to the "Phone2" jack? I realize two numbers require twice
> the bandwidth for simultaneous use (Duh, but many people seem to be
> surprised by this).

Yes, you can have different numbers, but they need to be attached to
the same Vonage account. Use the "Add additional line" option in the
Vonage website.

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I have said this myself on a few
> occassions. If you otherwise have broadband connectivity you use for
> other reasons, it is unfair to dump the entire cost of same onto your
> VOIP phone bill. PAT]

Not only that, but even if I get a dedicated cable modem for my Vonage
lines, I can get broadband for $29.95/month. Add to that my three
Vonage lines ($19.95+2x$14.95) and we're only talking $79.80/month
INCLUDING the broadband connection.

Compared to a phone line which is just over $35/month (For the
line+Voicemail+Call Display+Call Waiting). It would cost $105/month for
those three POTS lines.

So, in this situation VoIP comes out cheaper even if you put 100% of the
broadband connection on the VoIP side of the game.

================

A well-dressed man walks into a bar and asks a woman to sleep
with him for $1M. The woman is excited and she gives immediate
consent: "Of course I'll sleep with you!".
Then the man asks, "will you sleep with me for $5?". The woman
indignantly replies, "Of course not! What do you think I am?".
The man replies, "We've already established what you are; now
we're merely haggling over the price."

Go to Next message: Tony P.: "Re: Lingo Voip Isn't Really Cheap"
Go to Previous message: Lisa Minter: "2004 Was Year of Netsky Worm, Web Firm Sophos Says"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page