TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: WiFi Centrino RANGE Increase POSSIBLE?

Re: WiFi Centrino RANGE Increase POSSIBLE?

Tony P. (kd1s@nospamplease.cox.reallynospam.net)
Mon, 29 Nov 2004 17:29:02 -0500

In article <telecom23.571.16@telecom-digest.org>, chipg_
98NO@SPAMyahoo.com says:

> Michal <michalkuls@o2.pl> wrote in message

>> Hi,

>> I have a Toshiba A50-101 which is Centrino (with Wifi of course) I'm
>> using Wifi access point from Linksys named WAG54G. I need to use the
>> computer on other floor than the access point is. It works really
>> poor. The wifi range is not sufficient. Is it possible to increase my
>> wifi range by using some sort of PCMCIA antenna or something?

>> Thanks for any advice!
>> Regards,

>> Mike

> Personally, I use an Avaya Wireless PC Card and find that my reception
> is much better than using the integrated WiFi on my IBM Thinkpad
> T-41. I am not real familiar with the PC model you mention but suspect
> that you will find that a PC Card will work better. The Avaya Wireless
> card I have also has a little jack on it which allows for attaching an
> external antenna.

> Hope this helps,

I've found the Centrino equipped laptops we have at our office
function quite well without any external antennae, etc. Ranges in
excess of 300' are quite possible with these babies.

Go to Next message: BHAM KAL: "Can't find Linksys IP"
Go to Previous message: Clark W. Griswold, Jr.: "Re: Calling Card Needed -- Short Interaction Sequence"
May be in reply to: Michal: "WiFi Centrino RANGE Increase POSSIBLE?"