TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: How Do I Learn an Unknown Number?

Re: How Do I Learn an Unknown Number?

Tony P. (kd1s@nospamplease.cox.reallynospam.net)
Fri, 26 Nov 2004 17:43:21 -0500

In article <telecom23.567.14@telecom-digest.org>, billb@ftldesign.com
says:

> Andrew Bell wrote:

>> Nathan Strom wrote:

>>> If there's a dialtone on the line, hook up a phone and try
>>> calling 1-888-902-9998. It should read back the number of the
>>> calling phone.

>> It seems to read back the caller ID info presented, not the ANI.
>> I tried it from behind a PBX and got my DID number back.

> Googling on 1-888-902-9998 finds an interesting discussion thread:

> http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=583069
> which includes these useful notes:

> "Also check out 888-294-9681 - it gives you the voice circuit type and
> the number... will even do callback at the end of the call to confirm
> that it is working fine."

That one also returns CLID and not ANI.

> and

> "Here is a nation wide ANI # from MCI 1-800-444-4444"

This one also returns CLID.

Come to think of it, maybe it's something funky that Vonage is doing
though. They do set the CLID and ANI so that could be it.

Tony

Go to Next message: Lisa Minter: "Holidays Looking Merry for Web Retailers"
Go to Previous message: Scott Dorsey: "Re: Trial Shows How Spammers Operate"
May be in reply to: reking: "How Do I Learn an Unknown Number?"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page