TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Supervision For DID Lines?

Supervision For DID Lines?

Lincoln J. King-Cliby (chsvideo@hotmail.com)
14 Nov 2004 18:18:29 -0800

Hello,

A question I've been pondering for a while: When you call a DID
number, at what point does the call start to be billed?

For example, Cal State University San Marcos (my employer and school)
has the entire 760-750-xxxx range -- serving the campus with an EADS
Telecom PointSpan switch, served by the telco with a Nortel DMS-100
Large Remote, located on campus (actually in the middle of one of the
parking lots).

If I were to call campus long-distance, when would the call become
billable? At the time ringing starts? At the time someone answers (but
how can the telco determine this)? What about misdialed calls to
numbers not in service (which there are a large number of and IIRC,
ring infinitely)?

Now for another example, from my desk phone I tried calling my
counterpart at Cal Poly Pomona ... Thanks to old directory information
on their website my first attempt was not successful: I got two beeps
of the "fast busy" signal followed by (not exact, but close) "You have
called a non-working number at California State Polytechnic University
Pomona. If you feel that you have reached this recording in error,
please consult our website at --- or call the university operator
(hours) at ---"

Would we be billed for this call? If it were a telco generated
recording I would say no ... but since this was a customer-generated
(and LONG) recording ...?

Just curious and thanks for any answers,

Lincoln

Go to Next message: Lincoln J. King-Cliby: "While I'm Asking Questions: CalNet"
Go to Previous message: Marcus Didius Falco: "FWD: The End of Privacy -- It's not the FBI or CIA"
May be reply: John R. Levine: "Re: Supervision For DID Lines?"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page