TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Pre-Recorded Phone Should be Illegal

Re: Pre-Recorded Phone Should be Illegal

BobGoudreau@withheld
Tue, 2 Nov 2004 11:14:50 -0500

[Please remove my email address.

Steve Sobol wrote:

> Lisa Hancock wrote:

>> I know election phone calls are legal.

>> However, I think pre-recorded phone calls, of any kind, should be
>> illegal.

> Me too.

Not me. I actually find the prerecorded announcement calls that we
choose to receive weekly from my kids' schools to be useful.

I hope that you didn't literally mean "pre-recorded phone calls, of
any kind", since there are plenty of cases where people actually WANT
to receive such calls and make arrangements to do so.

Perhaps you actually meant "UNSOLICITED pre-recorded phone calls,
of any kind". Even then (and leaving aside the constitutional issues of
political speech raised by campaign calls) it's not completely black
and white, since I can envision various emergency scenarios (storm
evacuation, water contamination, armed-and-dangerous suspect at large,
etc) where public safety might be aided via mass robo-calls to the
affected areas.

Bob Goudreau
Cary, NC

Go to Next message: J Kelly: "Re: Pre-Recorded Phone Should be Illegal"
Go to Previous message: Rick Merrill: "Re: New Electronic Check Law Sinks 'Float'"
May be in reply to: Lisa Hancock: "Pre-Recorded Phone Should be Illegal"