TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Cybersquatter Update

Re: Cybersquatter Update

Hank Karl (notgiven@nothere.com)
Sat, 30 Oct 2004 13:53:25 -0400

On 27 Oct 2004 22:45:48 GMT, Ed Clarke <clarke@cilia.org> wrote:

> If you go look at the Network Solutions homepage, you'll find that
> they give you a great break on renewing a domain -- $19.99 per year --
> if you renew for five years. The fact that this is more than twice
> what others charge (http://www.godaddy.com for example at $8.95) ...
> And they are also associated with VeriSign who will give you a great
> deal on an SSL certificate at $895 per year ( or you could go to
> GeoTrust and get the equivalent for $229 with renewals at $179 ).

Godaddy also has an "auto-renew" feature so that you don't
inadvertently lose your domain name.

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: So, if this 'social contract' implies
> that non-working/unoccupied URLs are to go to at best a very generic
> 'not in service' screen, then a web site on which a fee had not been
> paid -- therefore being unoccupied or non-working should go there as
> well. PAT]

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: So the Public Interest Registry *could*
do the same thing if they felt like it; either 'renew' or put a short
hold on a URL pending a final notice to the owner. Of course that
might put a crimp in things for the penis enlargement company and the
pornographers. I am still waiting to hear from Mr. Mikka K. who came
to us through the garynuman mail server in Calgary, Alberta who has
insisted that PIR *had* to do it the way they did, shoving internet
history out of the way, and rolling out the red carpet for Bealo, SA.
Imagine, the same day PIR bumped me out, they moved Bealo SA right
in. I sure hope I did not cause them any inconvenience. PAT]

Go to Next message: Steve Sobol: "Re: Owner of Stolen 'sex.com' Can Sue VeriSign - Court"
Go to Previous message: Hank Karl: "Re: VOIP and Telnet"
May be in reply to: TELECOM Digest Editor: "Cybersquatter Update"