TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Clicking in Phone Line From Electric Fence

Re: Clicking in Phone Line From Electric Fence

David Clayton (dcstar@XYZ.myrealbox.com)
Sat, 30 Oct 2004 18:38:36 +1000

Matt <spammers@are.bad.com> contributed the following:

> Hi,

> Got a weird problem that I'm looking for a possible resolution
> to. There is a fairly large farm with about a mile of electric fence
> around the cattle area, with a pulsing electric fence. Apparently
> this is a heavy duty pulser and is able to power 100 miles of fence.

> The phone line for the caretaker and ONE of the two office
> lines experience a continual hum as well as a click, click, click,
> click, click, every time the electric fence fires off. The program
> director does not experience any known issue on his line, and the
> other line in the office is fine. I find this very odd, since both of
> the office lines come in (presumably) on the same cable?

Since one line is ok, it is possible the faulty line is actually on a
"split pair" where (for some portion of the run) it is connected using
different legs of 2 pairs in a cable, rather than both legs of one
pair.

It will still have connectivity and work, but if there is any junk
about, you'll hear it (as you have described).

Regards,

David Clayton, e-mail: dcstar@XYZ.myrealbox.com
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
(Remove the "XYZ." to reply)

Dilbert's words of wisdom #18: Never argue with an idiot. They drag
you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Go to Next message: Rick Merrill: "Re: New Electronic Check Law Sinks 'Float'"
Go to Previous message: Eric Tappert: "Re: Clicking in Phone Line From Electric Fence"
May be in reply to: Matt: "Clicking in Phone Line From Electric Fence"