TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Linux Asterisk embedded PBX, HELP!!

Re: Linux Asterisk embedded PBX, HELP!!

Jay Hennigan (jay@west.net)
Thu, 28 Oct 2004 22:58:00 -0700

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 07:58:42 -0700, Vish wrote:

> Hi again folks,

> Is there a PBX which is Linux/Asterisk based that can work independent
> of a PC? A PBX with embedded Linux OS and Asterisk that can be
> configured locally initialy with a PC, (later works independent of the
> PC). The device must also be subsequently configurable remotely via
> the internet (VPN if required). Maybe I am just dreaming but am new to
> this. Any help appreciated.

Well, yes. But it's really a PC under the hood. PBXs have essentially
been computers since the crossbar days.

There are a number of single-board dedicated x86 boxes that can run
asterisk without the "look and feel" of a PC. You can boot from a
solid-state "disk" and have no hard drive, you don't need a monitor,
keyboard or mouse, etc. Some even run on -48VDC, just like your
grandfather's PBX.

But, if you want the features and reliability, a server-class rack
mount "PC" is your best choice. You'll want a large amount of storage
for voice mail, standard PCI slots for the Digium boards, etc. And
you can configure it locally with a PC (connected via console) or
remotely via ssh or telnet, or even with a real green-screen VT-100.

If you wanted to, you could probably run asterisk on a Tivo, a Cisco
2500, or any of a number of other esoteric non-PC platforms. It's
open source and there are a number of cross-compilers available. With
a little effort, most any platform with a C compiler can likely handle
the basic engine.