TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: FCC OKs Cingular, AT&T Wireless Merger

Re: FCC OKs Cingular, AT&T Wireless Merger

kansasman (dog4dogg@yahoo.com)
28 Oct 2004 09:48:22 -0700

Monty Solomon <monty@roscom.com> wrote in message

> By BRUCE MEYERSON AP Business Writer

> NEW YORK (AP) -- Now that the purchase of AT&T Wireless is complete,
> Cingular Wireless' new status as the nation's biggest cell phone
> provider may prove fleeting if the merged company doesn't move
> quickly.

> The $41 billion deal, finalized Tuesday with Federal Communications
> Commission clearance, pairs two companies whose customer service
> rankings and operating performance are among the weakest in the
> industy.

> As Cingular's management takes on the sizable distraction of merging
> two large corporations, it may prove especially difficult to attack
> those issues with any speed.

> One top concern has been the pace at which subscribers have been
> switching to rivals, especially at AT&T Wireless Services Inc.,
> though Cingular's performance in this area has been unimpressive as
> well.

> Those defections have been fueled in large part by a successful
> marketing campaign at Verizon Wireless, which has built a strong
> perception as the company with the country's most expansive cell phone
> network.

> The new Cingular hopes the added network coverage and capacity from
> AT&T Wireless will help counter that perception almost from the start.

> - http://finance.lycos.com/home/news/story.asp?story=44523186

Great to know. I have been wondering when this merger would take
place ... this bit of information is interesting to note too: "One top
concern has been the pace at which subscribers have been switching to
rivals, especially at AT&T Wireless Services Inc., though Cingular's
performance in this area has been unimpressive as well."

Go to Next message: Matt: "Clicking in Phone Line From Electric Fence"
Go to Previous message: Monty Solomon: "EFFector 17.40: EFF, VVF at E-voting Ground Zero, Nov. 2"
May be in reply to: Monty Solomon: "FCC OKs Cingular, AT&T Wireless Merger"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page