TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Home Phones Face Uncertain Future

Re: Home Phones Face Uncertain Future

Dave Close (dave@compata.com)
26 Oct 2004 17:05:28 -0700

markrobt@comcast.net (Mark Roberts) writes:

> All of these considerations mean that we are keeping our two
> landlines. We have them on measured-rate service and have no
> custom-calling features, but in a pinch, we're sure they'll be there

-- something that can't be said for cell phones or VOIP.

If the original article proves correct, you may find that land-line
phone service will become much less ubiquitous, and much more costly.

I been looking for a local retailer selling an add-in PCI card with a
parallel port. A few years ago, these were easy to find and cost about
$10. Now nobody seems to have any except ones which require a Windows
driver (a "winpar"?), and they want $30 and up. USB has taken over. It
would not surprise me to see a similar outcome for land-line telephony.

For now, a land-line phone is a good stand-by. And the only way to make
a data modem call reliably. But for how much longer?

Tried to buy a (new) 5.25-inch floppy drive recently?

Dave Close, Compata, Costa Mesa CA "Politics is the business of getting
dave@compata.com, +1 714 434 7359 power and privilege without
dhclose@alumni.caltech.edu possessing merit." - P. J. O'Rourke

Go to Next message: Isaiah Beard: "Re: Home Phones Face Uncertain Future"
Go to Previous message: Andrew Pasetti: "Advice Needed on SMS Servers"
May be in reply to: Lisa Minter: "Home Phones Face Uncertain Future"