TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Take the Trouble to Block WiFi Poachers

Re: Take the Trouble to Block WiFi Poachers

Gary Breuckman (puma@catbox.com)
Mon, 25 Oct 2004 23:26:04 -0500

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note:

> if some other person with a WiFi card (other than *myself*) came
> to the same spot they would see his station -- 2WIRE895 -- waiting
> for someone to provide the proper encryption, but they would NOT see
> me. Right or wrong? I see myself listed, because it is me, but
> having it set to 'not broadcast your own name' keeps others from
> seeing me. Right or wrong?

That's right, but if you have encryption turned on it really doesn't
matter. Not broadcasting your SYSID can allow you to hide without
using encryption, some places use that so they can tell folks they
WANT to use the network the SYSID, but not others.

Using encryption is the way to go.

You might want to pick a different channel, if someone is nearby on
the same channel. That might improve your range.

Gary Breuckman

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: So if I use 128-bit encryption and no
SYSID then I get twice as good a chance as not, don't I, and using
'access control' so base only responds to *my* MAC address. PAT]

Go to Next message: dold@XReXXTakeX.usenet.us.com: "Re: Take the Trouble to Block WiFi Poachers"
Go to Previous message: Gene S. Berkowitz: "Re: Take the Trouble to Block WiFi Poachers"
May be in reply to: Monty Solomon: "Take the Trouble to Block WiFi Poachers"