TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Web Radio Stations Set for "Day of Silence" Protest June 26

Re: Web Radio Stations Set for "Day of Silence" Protest June 26

Koos van den Hout (koos+newsposting@kzdoos.xs4all.nl)
Thu, 28 Jun 2007 19:00:20 UTC

hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com wrote in <telecom26.183.4@telecom-digest.org>:

> I presume the determination of royalties is a private issue set by
> contract between artist and user. I would be very surprised if the
> copyright law or some US Government agency determines the amount of
> the royalty.

The landscape on how much a 'broadcaster' has to pay to play a song is
a lot more complicated than that. Law, contracts, rulings all come in
to play.

> Is that a US Government agency? Sounds more like a private sector
> cooperative arrangement.

It is an agency with a government mandate run by the major record
label that gets to do 'government' work in winning royalties:
sound exchange.

> but none of the obligations. In this particular instance, it seems
> they want the freedom to broadcast but are they willing to accept
> the restrictions that more traditional broadcasters are required to
> comply with?

http://www.savenetradio.org/about/index.html has a lot more explanation
than I can give.

And http://www.savenetradio.org/about/myths_and_facts.html will
explain how the medium any song is played is one of the major keys in
determining the fees. Traditional broadcast radio pays nothing. Large
Internet radio stations would have to pay nearly half their revenue in
fees.

Koos van den Hout Homepage: http://idefix.net/~koos/
Fax: +31-30-2817051 PGP keyid DSS/1024 0xF0D7C263 or RSA/1024 0xCA845CB5
Webprojects: Camp Wireless http://www.camp-wireless.org/
The Virtual Bookcase http://www.virtualbookcase.com/

Go to Next message: Neal McLain: "Re: Web Radio Stations Set for "Day of Silence" Protest"
Go to Previous message: Danny Burstein: "Re: Web Radio Stations Set for "Day of Silence" Protest June 26"
May be in reply to: Reuters News Wire: "Web Radio Stations Set for "Day of Silence" Protest June 26"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page