TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: U.S. Air Force Dislikes Google Earth Capability

Re: U.S. Air Force Dislikes Google Earth Capability

Jim Stewart (jstewart@jkmicro.com)
Mon, 25 Jun 2007 12:05:07 -0700

> From: Kristin Roberts, Reuters <reuters@telecom-digest.org>

> Deptula cited Google Inc.'s Google Earth, which gives Web users an
> astronaut's view of the earth and allows them to zoom down to street
> level. He said it had provided anyone with a credit card the ability
> to get a picture of any place on earth.

> "It is huge," he said. "It's something that was a closely guarded
> secret not that long ago and now everybody's got access to it."

A bit disingenuous if you ask me.

What was highly secret was the specifications and capabilities of our
spy satellites, not so much the products they produce. Of course, the
capabilities could be surmised from the products so they were
classified as well.

As to the offensive use of aerial photography, one can rent a light
plane and pilot and go up with a digital camera and click away. Even
most of our national labs permit overflights at relatively low
altitudes providing aircraft do not "loiter" over the area.

Go to Next message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: "All the President's Men" (Still More Movie Phone Trivial)"
Go to Previous message: USTelecom dailyLead: "Strigl: Verizon is on the Right Track"
May be in reply to: Kristin Roberts, Reuters: "U.S. Air Force Dislikes Google Earth Capability"