TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: We've Come So Far ...

Re: We've Come So Far ...

mc (look@www.ai.uga.edu.for.address)
Sat, 23 Jun 2007 18:11:33 -0400

Mark Crispin <mrc@cac.washington.edu> wrote in message

> On Thu, 21 Jun 2007, John Mayson wrote:

>> Did telephone service become cheaper before or after 1/1/1984? It's a
>> serious question, I don't know.

> In general, long (both regional and national) distance and
> international calls become MUCH cheaper. Pre-1984, we used to worry
> about how much a call to a relative in another state would cost and
> we'd keep the call as short as possible. International calls would
> cost a goodly portion of the national debt.

Concrete examples: Typical long distance call in the evening, 15 to 25
cents per minute; typical overseas call, $1.50 to $3.00 per minute, in
the early 1980s. Note that there's been some inflation; for today's
equivalent you should at least double those prices.

But there were no telemarketers calling us from India.

Go to Next message: Lisa Hancock: "Re: We've Come So Far ..."
Go to Previous message: T: "Re: We've Come So Far ..."
May be in reply to: John Mayson: "We've Come So Far ..."