TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: We've Come So Far ...

Re: We've Come So Far ...

Steven Lichter (diespammers@ikillspammers.com)
Sat, 23 Jun 2007 16:37:39 -0700

Mark Crispin wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Jun 2007, John Mayson wrote:

>> Did telephone service become cheaper before or after 1/1/1984? It's a
>> serious question, I don't know.

> In general, long (both regional and national) distance and
> international calls become MUCH cheaper. Pre-1984, we used to worry
> about how much a call to a relative in another state would cost and
> we'd keep the call as short as possible. International calls would
> cost a goodly portion of the national debt.

> However, a POTS line for local (or incoming) calls only has become
> more expensive; it's now $20 or so instead of $6 (and that's assuming
> that you have long distance disabled or you have to pay an additional
> set of fees for the long distance privilege).

> Fortunately, the advent of DSL, cable modems, etc. have eliminated the
> need for modem lines. I once had four POTS lines (voice + three
> data); now I have just one.

> I understand why many of the kids choose not to have POTS service at
> all. The argument about POTS being more reliable than cellular/VOIP
> doesn't hold in my neighborhood; POTS *always* goes down during a
> power outage (an event that happens several times a year).

> -- Mark --

> http://panda.com/mrc
> Democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding what to eat for lunch.
> Liberty is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote.

In the old days, I'm sure you know that LD rated kept local service
cheaper. Looking at my bill and allowing for cost of living increases,
phone service really is not that much cheaper and you have to go through
a lot of hoops to get things done, like when I had a bad drop.

I would rather go back, the old Step offices were much more fun to
work in.

The Only Good Spammer is a Dead one!! Have you hunted one down today?
(c) 2007 I Kill Spammers, Inc. A Rot In Hell Co.

Go to Next message: T: "Re: We've Come So Far ..."
Go to Previous message: Reuters News Wire: "U.N. Broadcasting Treaty Talks Suffer Setback"
May be in reply to: John Mayson: "We've Come So Far ..."