TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: A Quaint Relic From Our Archives on Computer

Re: A Quaint Relic From Our Archives on Computer

T (nospam.kd1s@cox.nospam.net)
Mon, 18 Jun 2007 17:53:00 -0400

In article <telecom26.170.7@telecom-digest.org>, dhorvath@notchur.biz
says...

> PAT: Please obscure my email address, name is fine.

>> On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 13:26:56 -0700, hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com wrote:
>> The truth is we ALL have skeletons in our closet, many we forgot
>> about. But maybe that incident back in college will come back to
>> haunt you years later.

>> For example, maybe you want a job that requires clearance and they
>> discover 20 years ago you were arrested for some major drug use. You
>> had made a mistake long ago and never again, but now it is held
>> against you. Maybe someone in your family did bad.

> I always find arguments like this amusing. If the rules for the job
> prohibit employment, then it doesn't matter if you "forget" some
> college "incident". There is a difference between an "incident" (no
> conviction) and a drug conviction.

> I work in an industry that has federal regulations prohibiting the
> employer from hiring anyone convicted for a crime of dishonesty
> (things like theft, embezzlement, etc.). It doesn't matter if I forgot
> about some conviction for stealing while in college, it would be
> improper for me to be hired for that job. Fortunately, there are no
> such convictions in my background.

> I'm sure I'd remember if there was.

> But if there was, and I got the job, I would be violating the
> regulations. It doesn't matter that no one realized it.

> Computers and data indexing make the information easier to find but do
> not change the underlying issues! If you have to report a conviction
> or not get a job because of one (regulations) or not get a security
> clearance (again regulations), then you should not!

> An employer can not apply these rules against you if it was another
> family member who was convicted.

> In addition, some convictions cause a loss of rights and can result in
> additional charges for attempting to participate. For instance, a
> felony conviction causes a federal prohibition on ownership of
> firearms. It is illegal to own one, hold one, or even attempt to buy
> one! Forgetting about an earlier conviction can result in another
> with hard federal time.

> - David

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: The difficulty with laws like this is
> they make no allowance for people who have geuinely changed their
> direction in life. If you commit some crime, and you 'do the time',
> then *theoretically* at least, you have been forgiven by society, have
> you not? The rules and laws you mention make a lie out of the
> rehabilitation model, and effectively punish the offender forever.

> Ditto on firearm ownership: The federal and various state/local
> governments absolutely _despise_ the Second Amendment to the
> Constitution, which plainly allows citizens to own firearms. Because
> of this hatred and their wish it did not exist, the various
> governments try throwing up every roadblock of which they can think.
> If you did thus and so, then you cannot own a gun, etc. All of these
> [...]

Want to know what I find extremely interesting? To work in law
enforcement you only have to do a few things. First, you have to submit
for a BCI check which goes up against state and federal databases for
criminal activity. There is also a psychological barrier too.

To be a politician you don't have to be vetted other than signatures to
get your name in there.

And to work for the USCG, Navy, Air Force, etc. the standard checks
apply plus a credit check.

It's bizarre.

Go to Next message: David B. Horvath, CCP: "Re: A Quaint Relic From Our Archives on Computer"
Go to Previous message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: A Quaint Relic From Our Archives on Computer"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page