TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Movie Review: Impulse

Movie Review: Impulse

TELECOM Digest Editor (ptownson@massis.lcs.mit.edu)
Sat, 9 Jun 2007 16:37:51 EDT

Thursday night I came home from eating dinner, and my keeper, Raymond
had a new DVD to watch, called 'Impulse'. It was a story about this
college age computer programmer who liked writing and spreading
viruses. (Not for his own computer, of course, but rather for everyone
else's computers.

A moody, melancholy guy, he decided to commit suicide. In doing so, he
released a lot of evil spirits from his mind and body. These evil
spirits learned how to communicate with others of their own kind _and
real, human people_ using the computer, you know, using Instant
Messenger and Email, IRC, stuff like that. This guy was a computer
science major at college, specializing in 'telecom'. He had vast
amounts of knowledge in subjects like WiFi, cell phones, land line
phones, and the computers behind them. Natually, all this guy's
knowledge about these subjects were transmitted on to the evil
spirits, and soon they knew how to spread themselves around the world
after reading the 'telecom paper' this guy had written.

We see signs of the evil spirits learing how to use these computers,
with messages saying 'please help me' appearing spuriously on the
various terminal screens. Then it appears that no matter what anyone
does, the hard drives cannot be cleaned off, and computers boot up
with a dreadful movie entitled 'Watch me commit suicide' and the man
killing himself.

Soon, every computer everywhere was plugged up with these evil spirit
viruses, but in particular, all cell phones, landline phones, instant
message programs, and land line phones were clogged up with them. How
badly plugged up? To illustrate this, a multi-line phone is displayed
with the ringing of phone bells in the background and all the lines
flashing and going unanswered; people nearby were seated at computer
terminals getting nowhere, and a recorded message voice is repeating
over and over, "Your call has been received by 911. All operators are
busy assisting other callers. Please hold until a 911 operator is
available."

The obligatory characters included the police and their investigation,
of course, the dull college professor who kept denying that evil
spirits could exist, two other sort of half-witted college students in
the same computer science class, and other assorted characters.

One of them found a script, which it was stated, could be run and
eliminate the viruses. But it had to be run 'from the server' which
as luck would have it, was down in the basement of the 'Computer
Science Department' building at the university. 'Crash all the
terminals, shut down the servers, load this script then restart it
all' is what they had to do.

Well, our hero and heroine (two of the college students) decide to try
this and they rush to the basement. But alas, they are too late, as
the worm-like evil spirit viruses have escaped and are now in the
process of infesting the entire internet. They do not say exactly
where all this is located, but New York City is implied as the
location of 'the university'. As the viruses infest all computers
everywhere, we see the results in the form of clogged streets and
stalled subways, lights flashing or not working at all. A television
news station is telling everyone about this dillema when it, itself
suddenly shuts down.

Our hero and heroine consult again with the police and are told to
flee for their lives, because it appears everyone is following the
example of the computer science student and committing suicide. They
decide to take that advice and get out of the city as soon as they
can, driving off to some rural countryside area. We can tell it is a
rural area because we see cows and horses, and the heroine is telling
us that 'the things we thought were to help us are actually killing
us; driving us to the brink of insanity.' Both hero and heroine swore
they would never again use a telephone, a cell phone, Wi-Fi, instant
messaging or any 'computer', because of the evil spirit viruses which
had taken over the entire thing at this point.

Raymond said to me the whole movie ("Impulse") stunk very badly. I
would generally agree, but one *good* thing about the movie was it
was done in black and white with interesting contrasts in what we
saw. Black and white, with flourescent lights flashing off and on at
the right intervals, dashes of blue and grey in the scenes and quite
good sound and music effects.

Raymond noted the movie ended 'a lot like 28 Days' (if you have seen
that movie), where the surviviors never actually win, but they instead
just flee the big city and move to a safe, rural area.

Not a bad deal for a $4.00/week rental from Blockbuster.

PAT