TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Clean Technology Bigger than Internet Claims Bill Joy

Re: Clean Technology Bigger than Internet Claims Bill Joy

ranck@vt.edu
Mon, 21 May 2007 15:33:49 UTC

Dave Garland <dave.garland@wizinfo.com> wrote:

> It was a dark and stormy night when Wesrock@aol.com wrote:

>> There is no place in the world where public passenger transportation
>> does not require a subsidy; in most cases, outright operation by a
>> governmental entity.

>> Also, rail transit systems are tremendously expensive to build in
>> established cities.

> All true. But exactly the same is true of automobile-centered
> transportation. User fees (gas tax and tolls) pay for only a small
> fraction of the cost of construction, maintenance, and operation of
> highways, roads, streets. And for the total cost, you need to add on
> top of that the cost to users for purchase, maintenance, and operation
> of the vehicles.

You know, I keep hearing this about road use taxes not fully paying
for road construction and upkeep, but then I hear equally emphatic
folks saying that so much of the revenue is used to support "mass
transit" that it *could* pay for the roads if it didn't have that
burden. No one, on either side, seems to be citing sources for this
received wisdom. Do you have any? Preferably without agenda, though
I know that will be hard to find. Everbody has an agenda.

I'm curious where the truth lies (pun fully intended ;-))

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.

Go to Next message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: Clean Technology Bigger than Internet Claims Bill Joy"
Go to Previous message: USTelecom dailyLead: "Alltel Deal Represents Largest U.S. Telecom LBO"
May be in reply to: Gerard Wynn, Reuters: "Clean Technology Bigger than Internet Claims Bill Joy"