TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Last Laugh! Racism and All That Rot

Re: Last Laugh! Racism and All That Rot

Colin (colins@swiftdsl.com.au)
Thu, 17 May 2007 22:17:05 +1000

John Mayson wrote:

> Wesrock@aol.com wrote:

>> In a message dated 5/10/07 3:24:59 PM Central Daylight Time, Pat wrote
>> in a note to a posting by Fred Goldstein <SeeSigForEmail@wn6.wn.net>:

>>> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Speaking about odd pronounciations of
>>> words, consider the town of Miami, Oklahoma. Residents there do not
>>> pronounce it My-Am-eee, but rather My-Am-ah.

>> What's your definition of "odd"? There are 15 or 20 cities in the
>> United States named "Miami," and the pronounciation is divided about
>> half and half between those two variants.

> Likewise I believe most cities named "Newark" are pronounced "New ark"
> versus "New work". Still, everyone thinks the former is the "odd" one.

> John Mayson <john@mayson.us>
> Austin, Texas, USA

No, in the US it's pronounced Noo-ark. The original town is
pronounced Nyu-uck.

Colin

Go to Next message: mc: "Make a passive cell phone repeater?"
Go to Previous message: Wesrock@aol.com: "Re: Cincinnati Bell and SNET (was Cingular & at&t)"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page