TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Attorney Generals Seek Sex Offender Data From MySpace

Re: Attorney Generals Seek Sex Offender Data From MySpace

Rick Merrill (rick0.merrill@NOSPAM.gmail.com)
Tue, 15 May 2007 16:53:00 -0400

Rick Merrill wrote:

> Samuel Spies wrote:

>> By SAMUEL SPIES, Associated Press Writer

>> Top law enforcement officers from seven states issued a letter to
>> MySpace.com on Monday, asking the social networking site to turn over
>> the names of registered sex offenders who use the service.

>> Connecticut Attorney General Richard Blumenthal called the site a
>> "virtual playground" for predators.

>> "That combination of sex offenders and children is a recipe for
>> tragedy," Blumenthal said.

> The law lags technology: level3 sex offenders must keep their physical
> distance from children, but this is the first time that enforcement is
> taking on the 'distance' that the internet provides.

> How might a law cope with this? No IM, no email, no usenet, no
> forums, no wifi, no web site comeons to children?

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Another thing, _how_ is MySpace.com
> supposed to know who the sex offenders are in their midst? That's not
> a question they normally ask of new subscribers. Now, there is a law
> which forbids adults (sex offender or not) from engaging in sexual
> conversations with minors on the net which I guess is how the law
> copes with the problem. PAT]

I gather they match the names and addresses. No "conversations" is
probably a good way to put it, but monitoring that has got to be next
to impossible.

Like some of the 'blue box' offenders, they'll have to be banned from
using the internet altogether.

Go to Next message: harold@hallikainen.com: "Re: Telephone Dialing in Old Movies, Police Radio"
Go to Previous message: USTelecom dailyLead: "AT&T Executive: U-Verse, Wireless Ads Have $1 Billion Potential"
May be in reply to: Samuel Spies, Asociated Press: "Attorney Generals Seek Sex Offender Data From MySpace"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page