TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Question About NXX Exchange Numbers: Are They Geographic

Re: Question About NXX Exchange Numbers: Are They Geographic

Sam Spade (sam@coldmail.com)
Sun, 13 May 2007 05:57:43 -0700

Sam Spade wrote:

> I am in Southern California and my Vonage primary number is in
> Washington, DC. I also have a virtual number local to my California
> rate center.

> In effect, it's like having a DC foreign exchange line in Southern
> Calfornia. And, with a flat-rate out-WATS line, too. Think what all
> that would have cost in 1980, or so.

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: But recall that with Vonage and ONE
> telephone line, all your outgoing (revenue producing for telco) calls
> are 'rate centered' Washington, DC. You cannot dial out using the
> virtual southern California line, only receive incoming calls on it.
> PAT]

You're correct. I should have clarified that the virtual number is the
equivalent of remote call forwarding. ;-)

Go to Next message: John Mayson: "Re: A Message from AT&T for Yahoo Members"
Go to Previous message: T: "Re: Question About NXX Exchange Numbers: Are They Geographic Areas?"
May be in reply to: Sam Spade: "Question About NXX Exchange Numbers: Are They Geographic"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page