TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Cingular - AT&T ?

Re: Cingular - AT&T ?

Steven J. Sobol (sjsobol@JustThe.net)
Tue, 8 May 2007 21:57:56 +0000 (UTC)

In article <telecom26.125.2@telecom-digest.org>, hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com wrote:

> Could someone explain today's makeup of AT&T and its relation to
> Cingular and other companies?

> If I recall correctly, a few years ago Cingular, an independent
> company, bought out the wireless network from AT&T. Further, Cingular
> did a much better job running it. But now they're back using the AT&T
> name???

Cingular has never been an independent company. It was formed by a
joint venture of SBC and BellSouth. Both companies have been bought by
AT&T, and Cingular's been re-branded. Again. :)

Steve Sobol, Professional Geek ** Java/VB/VC/PHP/Perl ** Linux/*BSD/Windows
Victorville, California PGP:0xE3AE35ED

It's all fun and games until someone starts a bonfire in the living room.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Although Cingular was never an
independent company, I think its roots were in the old Southwestern
Bell Mobility in the 1980's. PAT]

Go to Next message: Rick Merrill: "Re: Last Laugh! Telecom New Zealand Tells Woman Her Name is Gay"
Go to Previous message: Rick Merrill: "Re: Question About NXX Exchange Numbers: Are They Geographic Areas?"
May be in reply to: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Cingular - AT&T ?"