TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Question About NXX Exchange Numbers: Are They Geographic Areas?

Question About NXX Exchange Numbers: Are They Geographic Areas?

Patrick E. Burns (patrickburns@economicrt.org)
Mon, 07 May 2007 14:23:25 -0700

Mr. Dykstra,

I happily found your on-line list of NPA/NXX's (area code plus exchanges)
with some geographic information attached.

I work for a non-profit which is just about to conduct a telephone
survey of rental households in Los Angeles, and we are seeking maps
(or mapable information) about telephone numbers. When we call renters
(as well as smaller sample of apartment owners), we want to know if
they fall in the City of Los Angeles or an adjacent community.

My understanding is that telephone exchange numbers can represent
geographic areas, similar to a ZIP code area or census tract. Is
that the case? If so, are there any groups that make maps of
telephone exchange areas? I am looking to make such a GIS-based map
myself, showing Southern California, but am having trouble finding
telephone exchange lists with geographic references (latt/long,
etc.) If you could direct me to any source material, I would be
grateful.

Sincerely,
PATRICK

P.S. I am also looking for GIS boundary files for US Area Code (NPA)
boundaries.

Economic Roundtable
315 West Ninth Street, Suite 1209
Los Angeles, California 90015-4213
Phone (213) 892-0216 Fax (213) 892-8105
Email: patrickburns@economicrt.org

Support the 10 year plan to end homelessness!

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Generally, that is correct. The area
code represents a specific area and the first three digits following
that represent a sub-area. For example, your own 213-892 relates to
a specific area of Los Angeles. *There are exceptions* now that
'number portability' is possible, but they are few and far between.
Maybe someone else can answer your other questions. PAT]

Go to Next message: Monty Solomon: "You Can Own an Integer Too - Get Yours Here"
Go to Previous message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Cingular - AT&T ?"
May be reply: Rick Merrill: "Re: Question About NXX Exchange Numbers: Are They Geographic Areas?"
May be reply: William Warren: "Re: Question About NXX Exchange Numbers: Are They Geographic Areas?"
May be reply: Danny Burstein: "Re: Question About NXX Exchange Numbers: Are They Geographic Areas?"
May be reply: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: Question About NXX Exchange Numbers: Are They Geographic Areas?"
May be reply: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: Question About NXX Exchange Numbers: Are They Geographic Areas?"
May be reply: Scott Dorsey: "Re: Question About NXX Exchange Numbers: Are They Geographic Areas?"
May be reply: T: "Re: Question About NXX Exchange Numbers: Are They Geographic Areas?"
May be reply: T: "Re: Question About NXX Exchange Numbers: Are They Geographic Areas?"
May be reply: T: "Re: Question About NXX Exchange Numbers: Are They Geographic Areas?"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page