TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Channel Islands: Union Sour Over Milk

Channel Islands: Union Sour Over Milk

Nigel Allen (ndallen@interlog.com)
Thu, 3 May 2007 19:40:42 -0400

Here is a press release from the union which represents workers at
Jersey Telecom. Jersey (in the Channel Islands) is not politically
part of the United Kingdom, but shares its country code of 44.

Union sour over milk advertising snub

JERSEY, UNITED KINGDOM--(CCNMatthews - May 3, 2007) -

Unite (Amicus section) has expressed its disappointment over the
decision by Jersey Dairy to refuse to allow the union to advertise its
'Don't hang up on Jersey Telecom' campaign.

The union had made a request to buy three month's worth of advertising
space on Jersey Dairy milk cartons as part of the union's campaign to
stop the privatisation of Jersey Telecom. But Jersey Dairy have said
that the sale of Jersey Telecom is political and they do not want to
be seen to be endorsing either side in the debate.

Unite national officer, Peter Skyte said: "Our union is very
disappointed over Jersey Dairy's decision. We believe the people of
Jersey should know about the negative affects that will result from
the sale of Jersey Telecom."

Unite believes that the sale of JT would be very damaging for the
island. JT currently hands over GBP 13m is taxes and dividends to
Jersey every year. This reliable and guaranteed income would disappear
if JT is sold to a telecoms multinational. The union also believes
that if JT is privatised it will open the floodgates to other States'
assets being sold off.

"If a privatisation agenda is pushed through it will change the very
fabric of Jersey and will result in huge job loses. The Jersey's
economy is small and workers who lose their jobs will not be able to
travel to find work," said Peter Skyte.

Unite members have been circulating a petition in Jersey which will be
presented to the Jersey States prior to the vote on the sale which is
likely to take place in the Autumn.

"Thousands of people have already signed our petition. Our activists
are getting a lot of support from members of the public who are
sympathetic to our campaign," added Peter Skyte.

CONTACT INFORMATION

Mike Budd
+ 44 7958 624502

or

Amicus Press Office
Liane Groves
+ 44 7793 661 657

Go to Next message: Al Gillis: "MCI (Was: Foreign Listings for Residences)"
Go to Previous message: TELECOM Digest Editor: "Help Save Net Radio"
May be reply: Mark Crispin: "Re: Channel Islands: Union Sour Over Milk"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page