TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: From Many Tweets, One Loud Voice on the Internet

From Many Tweets, One Loud Voice on the Internet

Monty Solomon (monty@roscom.com)
Sun, 22 Apr 2007 22:32:51 -0400

Slipstream

By JASON PONTIN
The New York Times
April 22, 2007

"ONLY connect," the English novelist E. M. Forster admonished
mankind. I don't think, however, that he meant that we should connect
exclusively, or continuously.

Habitual users of a new, free communications service called Twitter
would disagree. For anyone unfamiliar with the latest trends in
technology, "Twitterers" send and receive short messages, called
"tweets," on Twitter's Web site, with instant messaging software, or
with mobile phones. Unlike most text messages, tweets -- usually in
answer to Twitter's prompt, "What are you doing?" -- are routed among
networks of friends. Strangers, called "followers," can also choose to
receive the tweets of people they find interesting.

Tweets are published on a "public timeline" on Twitter's home page.
As I write this column, "54626" in Scottsdale, Ariz., is wondering,
"Does anyone else really dig the word 'Mandible'? I kind of love it
right now." "Opheliac9" in Minneapolis posts, "Guess what? I'm at the
CC. Come one, come all." "Angelamaria" in the Philippines is simply
"annoyed."

David Troy, a software developer in Maryland, has created a Web site
called Twittervision that superimposes this public timeline on a
Google map. Every few seconds, a tweet appears and vanishes somewhere
on the globe. It is an absorbing spectacle: a global vision of the
human race's quotidian thoughts and activities, or at least of that
portion of the species who twitter.

Most twitterers communicate with small networks of people they know,
but the most popular have thousands of friends and followers. One of
the best-loved twitterers, Paul Terry Walhaus, a gray-haired blogger
from Austin, Tex., has 9,177 friends and 1,851 followers, according to
the tracking site Twitterholic.

At least one politician has tuned into the service. John Edwards, who
has 2,001 followers and 2,082 friends, recently twittered that his
presidential campaign would be "carbon neutral."

After Robert Scoble, who writes a popular technology blog called
Scobleizer and who himself has 2,985 followers and 3,045 friends,
challenged this ambitious vow on Twitter, Mr. Edwards twittered back
that he would, as president, offset his campaign's carbon emissions by
financing alternative energy research.

Twitter, which was created by a 10-person start-up in San Francisco
called Obvious, is a heady mixture of messaging; social networking of
the sort associated with Web sites like MySpace; the terse, jittery
personal revelations of "microblogging" found on services like Jaiku;
and something called "presence," shorthand for the idea that people
should enjoy an "always on" virtual omnipresence.

It's easy to satirize Twitter's trendiness, and cranky critics have
mocked the banality of most tweets and questioned whether we really
need such an assault upon our powers of concentration. But right now,
it's one of the fastest-growing phenomena on the Internet.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/22/business/yourmoney/22stream.html?ex=1334894400&en=462a98652aaa1897&ei=5090

Go to Next message: Monty Solomon: "Goal! He Spends It on Beckham"
Go to Previous message: Steve Hayes: "Police and the Porn Fraud Mess"
May be reply: John Mayson: "Re: From Many Tweets, One Loud Voice on the Internet"
May be reply: UHF: "Re: From Many Tweets, One Loud Voice on the Internet"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page