TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Judge Hits Vonage With Injuction; Stop Using Verizon Technology

Re: Judge Hits Vonage With Injuction; Stop Using Verizon Technology

T (nospam.kd1s@cox.nospam.net)
Mon, 26 Mar 2007 17:08:12 -0400

In article <telecom26.84.4@telecom-digest.org>, first.last@comcast.net
says:

> In article <telecom26.83.8@telecom-digest.org>, hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com
> says:

>> Peter wrote:

>>> A federal judge dealt a blow to Vonage Holdings Corp. that sent its
>>> stock reeling on Friday, when he agreed to bar the company from
>>> using Internet phone call technology patented by Verizon
>>> Communications Inc. ... A jury on March 8 found Vonage had
>>> infringed three patents owned by Verizon. ...

>> When Vonage hit the scene, a number of participants here were quite
>> enthused about it. I am curious as to what they think of the current
>> situation.

>> Also, could anyone explain -- in layman's terms -- what the three
>> patents covered?

> From Cnet:

> "The patents Vonage was found to have infringed deal with technologies
> involving connection of VoIP calls to the regular phone network, some
> features for implementing call-waiting and voice-mail services, and VoIP
> calls using Wi-Fi handsets."

So it's the connection method is it? Far as I can recall, switches of
all sizes have been IP aware for quite some time now. My Vonage line
is in essence a VoIP phone connected to a real switch. Verizon and
that damned jury doesn't seem to understand that part.

Go to Next message: Steve Crow: "Re: Numeric Pager Notification of E-mail"
Go to Previous message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: Life Magazine Going Out of Business, But Staying Online"
May be in reply to: Peter Kaplan, Reuters News Wire: "Judge Hits Vonage With Injuction; Stop Using Verizon Technology"