TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Reverse 911

Re: Reverse 911

Rick Merrill (rick0.merrill@NOSPAM.gmail.com)
Mon, 12 Mar 2007 16:40:53 -0400

Rick Merrill wrote:

> Claude J Ortega wrote:

>> In article <telecom26.68.6@telecom-digest.org>,
>> rick0.merrill@NOSPAM.gmail.com says:

>>> Just received a call as follows:

>>> (999) 999-9999 NAME NOT FOUND

>>> and it was an "amber alert" about a missing boy in our town.

>>> Has anyone else heard of this?

>> Yep, my town is trying it out.

>> I have an answering machine on my line, to filter out the
>> telemarketers, and the reverse 911 system just hangs up without giving
>> out the 'important' message. :-(

>> Claude

> They would leave a message except that they want to be sure the message
> was "heard".

> My wife's reaction was, "what?! I want to hear it again!"

> There should be a number that one can call back so that other
> members of the household can hear the information from the source.

Apparently some services do provide that facility at an additional
cost, but the basic Reverse 911 is a free service to Police
departments in the USA.

Go to Next message: f@u.washington.edu: "Re: Name of Calling Feature"
Go to Previous message: Danny Burstein: "Feds (Taxpayers) to Subsidize Digitial -> Analog TV Boxes"
May be in reply to: Rick Merrill: "Reverse 911"