TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Cordless Phone Does Not Ring

Re: Cordless Phone Does Not Ring

Dave Garland (dave.garland@wizinfo.com)
Fri, 02 Mar 2007 21:37:07 +0000

It was a dark and stormy night when PAT wrote:

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: But when you unplug your cordless
> phones and replug them in at someone else's jack they _always_ work
> correctly? (yes/no) You have two cordless phones now, the original
> one plus a new one you bought recently? Do they both always work OK
> at the other location while _NOT_ working at your location? (yes/no)
> At your place, knowing that a call is coming in (your own cell phone)
> you can answer all incoming calls without having heard a ring?
> (yes/no). The phones work okay at both locations except you do not get
> ringing signal (although you know it is 'ringing' at your place?)
> If for all these questions your answer is (yes) then I strongly
> suggest the hassle is somehow with your own wiring. PAT]

Could this be a short (through defective wiring, lightning arrestor,
or perhaps through a defective DSL filter, since those were probably
installed recently) that only conducts at the higher voltages involved
with the ringing signal?

I don't think the poster has said what happens with a hard-wired phone
(best of all with an old one with the mechanical ringer). Is there
any evidence that he's getting (adequate) ringing voltage under any
conditions?

There are others here who would know far better than I, but when DSL
was hooked up, would his telephone line been switched to a different
card at the office (or in the pedestal on the street)?

Dave

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Those were going to be some additional
questions of mine: perhaps the original writer will respond to these
items as well. PAT]

Go to Next message: Steve Crow: "Re: Unlisted Phone Number"
Go to Previous message: RadicalModerate: "Re: Innocent Teacher Convicted in Computer Porn Case"
May be in reply to: sanjay.gaikwad@gmail.com: "Cordless Phone Does Not Ring"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page