TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Western Union Desk-Fax -- Discontinued?

Re: Western Union Desk-Fax -- Discontinued?

Carl Zwanzig (zbang@radix.net)
Mon, 05 Feb 2007 21:32:11 -0000

In article <telecom26.35.7@telecom-digest.org>, hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com wrote:

> Wasn't "earthlink" originally a pioneer e-mail service offered by
> Western Union?

I think You're thinking of (sl)Easy-link (tm). It was around in the
early 1980's. I was a subscriber for a while after they gave me a
free account, but dropped it when they wanted me to start paying.

FWIW, in the little use I gave it, I formed an opinion of "suck". Case
in point- the "vt100" mode wouldn't work nicely with a real
vt-100. Trying to describe this to a support person was fruitless, as
they were fixated that I must be using emulation software on a PC or
something.

Ob FAX: A high school teacher of mine had a Stenofax machine in their
office. I spent a week tracking down an 811a tube for the output amp
so we could try with it (it had a mode to copy/cut mimeo stencels).

z!

Go to Next message: Bret Ludwig: "Re: Western Union Desk-Fax -- Discontinued?"
Go to Previous message: USTelecom dailyLead: "Verizon Adds Flexibility to Firewall"
May be in reply to: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Western Union Desk-Fax -- Discontinued?"